Friday, July 27, 2007

"Members of the Mormon church are not all united on every principle. Every man is entitled to his own opinion and his own views and his own conceptions of right and wrong so long as they do not come in conflict with the standard principles of the Church. If a man assumes to deny God and to become an infidel we withdraw fellowship from him. But so long as a man believes in God and has a little faith in the Church organization, we nurture and aid that person to continue faithfully as a member of the Church though he may not believe all that is revealed."- Joseph F. Smith.

3 comments:

tom sheepandgoats said...

The broom, the clothespin, and the circular saw. (not electric I trust) I didn't know any of this. Thank you, Nate.

Maybe Copley should have "corrected" them with regard to celibacy. I think I can discern why the group died out.

Too bad. If groups must die out, there's many I would prefer it happen to before Shakers!

Unknown said...

What is the source for this quote. I love it!

NateDredge said...

I think I got it out of a Sunstone. I believe the circumstances for the quote involve the aftermath of President Smith’s testifying before congress on the subject of theocratic tendencies in Mormonism, as regards the seating of Apostle Reed Smoot in the United States Senate.