Saturday, September 22, 2007

Visiting A Seventh-day Adventist Service

This week, as part of my continuing quest to visit as many different types of Church services as I can, I thought it might be fun to attend a Seventh-day Adventist meeting. As Saturday approached I almost decided not to go, until visiting the website of the Cloverdale Seventh-day Adventist Church (whose nearby building I’d long wanted to go into because it looks like something out of “Logan‘s Run”) , I learned that this Sabbath’s service would be on “How The World Will End”, which at least sounded interesting.

I found most of the early service rather boring to be honest, the “Children’s Story” really slowed things down, and the pastor was just a little too ‘game show personality’ for my taste. Also what’s the deal with the handshaking period? Most church’s have them, even Catholics, but it just seems awkward and a little forced to me. Us Mormons do our social fellowshipping informally before and after Sacrament meetings, which seems a lot more natural. Also Mormons don’t pass the plate, something I’m also not particularly fond of in other church’s. The music here however was okay, kind of ‘Gospel Homecoming Special’.

In fact much of the service wasn’t that different from those of your average Evangelical. Distinctively Seventh-day Adventist doctrines seemed almost absent from the proceedings, with church founder Ellen G. White referenced only once, during a prayer, and then indirectly: “Your servant, in her writings said….” The primary sermon, was delivered by a visiting pastor from Portland, who was in Boise doing preparations for an upcoming outreach/educational program called “God So Loved”. His “end of the world” talk was well presented, incorporating power-point style presentation, a few good stories, and an explanation of how the Adventist’s “Secret Rapture” differs from the popularized Evangelical rapture of the “Left Behind” series. On the whole though its seems (from my highly limited perspective) that Adventist theology differs only slightly from that of mainstream Evangelicalism, which might account for the uncertain statues it holds in the eyes of many of the latter’s faithful, meaning they don’t always know wither or not to group it with the Mormon’s and Jehovah’s Witnesses in ‘Cult’ statues.

6 comments:

j said...

This is a very interesting post. I honestly have no idea what the Adventist "secret rapture" belief is. Sounds intriguing.

My questions would be to ask how welcoming you found the people, if there was a group for folks your age, if there was a potluck afterwards...

Thanks!

Sharidan said...

Hi Nate

I'm a life-long Seventh-day Adventist and I found your post both interesting and informative. Most of what you describe in the service is sadly what happens in most Adventist Churches each week. We do not preach much of our "distinctive Adventist doctrine." I think our church is too afraid to look different from main-stream evangelicalism. I appreciate your knowledge of our church, i.e. Ellen White and how to correctly spell our name, etc. I would like to know, however, what you are refering to when you speak of our own "secret rapture." We believe that Crist's second coming will be seen by all who are alive and remain on the earth at that time. No secret stuff there. My brother-in-law is a Morman and a very good man. I admire his steadfastness and family orientation even if I don't agree with his Doctrine. Thank you for the post my friend. You did a good job! Danny

NateDredge said...

Johnny,

The people seemed nice enough though I interacted with very few of them, I didn’t see very many people in there twenties, but they had some youth, unlike the Unitarian service I attended several months ago. Sadly, no pot luck this week.

Sharidan,

The visiting pastor used the phrase “secret rapture” several times, but looking back on it I’m not sure ‘exactly’ what he ment by the term. The main difference I picked upped between the Adventist and “Left Behind” interpretations of the rapture, is that the Adventist’s don’t believe in a seven year tribulation period, they believe that the surfice of the earth will be subject to massive destruction close to immediately after the saved are whisked off by God, with those remaining being destroyed. Mormon rapture theology on the other hand is practically non-existent, though what I do recall hearing once in seminary (a course of religious supplement offered to high school aged Latter-day Saints), our conceptions of said event hear closer to those of Adventism them Tim LaHay.

***
Okay I think I remember what “Secret Rapture” is now. The saved won’t just disappear in public one day, but rather be quietly lead away so few will notice they’ve gone until the cataclysm descends.

j said...

Hey,
Are you sure you went to a Seventh-day Adventist church? There are quite a few congregations and even denominations which have diverged from Adventist belief yet use similar names.

I'm an ordained elder and theology student myself and I've never heard of it. You can check out our beliefs here http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

What you heard is such a departure from what we believe that I'm interested to know if the church you attended is affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist.

Keep up your great blog posts!
thanks!

NateDredge said...

Johnny,

I provided a link to the Church’s website on my original post, you can use that to investigate further. It’s possible I misunderstood what the visiting pastor was saying, its also possible that he was teaching something that deviated from the norm. Perhaps you can briefly explain your understanding of Adventist beliefs regarding the rapture.

Matthew said...

I suggest attending a traditional Catholic Mass - a Tridentine Latin Mass. First definitely study the liturgy in order to understand and with the use of a missal, it is a very holy experience.

For those wanting Mormon information:



Seventh-Day Adventist Information:

http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat/198