Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Energy Drinks

Like the Phoenix New Times I too noticed this recent Ensign article and thought to myself: “Oh, another new don’t”. This one follows I suppose, some of those energy drinks are worse then coffee, and it correlates nicely with a cultural Mormon rejection of Pepsi and all things caffeine. However the anti-cola disposition has never been formalized, one can still enjoy a Dr. Pepper and attend the temple, the same of course being true of energy drinks, abstention here is a “council” not a “commandment”. However in addition with not being good for your system, Red Bull certainly will not count in your favor when applying for celestial admittance.

2 comments:

Jax said...

I think somebody just realized that this successful company is selling a product that tastes terrible. I mean who thought up the idea of botteling the smell you get walking past a full port-a-potty and selling it in liquid form?

hortinthewho said...

I guess you could say I appreciated this article. Many people for a long time have simply ignored how bad these drinks are for you.

I would be telling a lye if I said I had never drank any of these and I suppose some of them can at times serve a purpose (I know that if I am driving late at night simply taking a sip of RockStar will make me wide awake, not sure if it is the cafiene or the taste that does this).

I have tried many of the different varieties and some of the most popular ones are the ones I disliked. I never cared for nor got much out of Red Bull.

My favorite was Boo Koo. It had less cafiene than the others and relied more on vitamins and other supplements to give you your rush.

I will readily admit I am somewhat scared to drink any of them any more. Since starting my business I drink caffiene so infrequently now that a can of Coke on an empty stomach makes my heart race for quite some time.

As a side note I mostly drank these beverages when I had my back injury. I was on so many painkillers that I needed something to keep me going. I originally started with Coke but found myself drinking a 12 pack a day and sometimes more so I switched to something I could consume less of.