Friday, June 29, 2007

Apostle Dallin H. Oaks on Criticism and Church Leaders

I have decided to include here a link to an (edited) copy of Apostle Dallin Oaks 1986 address to "a Latter-day Saint Student Association" on the topic of criticism of Church leaders. As you may recall from a previous post I had mentioned how Elder Oaks comments against the vocal criticism of Church leaders in the PBS documentary 'The Mormons' had raised an eyebrow on my part. Well Elder Oaks was basically giving a super-condensed version of what had said to the Mormon students in the middle 80's, and what is doubtless a widely, if not universally held opinion of those in the upmost hierarchy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As I read the piece a myriad of different responses came to my brain. For a while it looked like it would result in a rather long post. Later I though about condensing things to a brief analysis of a few choice quotes. In the end however, after reading thought the whole thing, I came to understand where Elder Oaks was coming from. The system or procedures he describes for dealing with complaints and possible abuse issues regarding Church leaders is a multifaceted one, with several backup mechanisms. It is not perfect, but I find if I'm honest with myself, my main problem with it is that it would not be very satisfying to my ego. There are other legitimate complaints I may have as well, but I suppose if they where to ever come to a head I could probably deal with them through the system. Anyway read Elder Oaks talk (its about seven pages) and ponder, its an enlightening look at the way the LDS Church prefers to handle criticism.

No comments: