Thursday, June 28, 2007

Unitarian Universalist Serive

I though I would take some time and comment on my recent visit to the Unitarian Univeralsits congregation here in Boise (or more accurately Garden City). I enjoy attending the services of other faiths from time to time because I am theologically curious. I used to attend a protestant service or two around Easter and Christmas time, so I could check out various denominations and mostly go unnoticed in the holiday crowds. I hadn’t done this in years until a couple of months ago when I attended (and quite enjoyed) a Quaker service with a friend. Anyway my current theological mode has me attracted to more liberal denominations, and one can’t get much more liberal then the Unitarians.

Last Sunday I arrived at the Unitarin worship center (it has a name but it escapes me at the moment, I know they now prefer not to call them church’s however) about ten minutes before there main service (which starts at 10 am). There were a number of vehicles with left wing bumper stickers in the parking lot, and I think I was the only attainder to wear a tie. As I approached the entrance to the building, one of the greeters was trying to get a dove to de-perch from the open door. Seriously, a dove, or something similar. He picked up the bird, it was remarkably calm, and he and a few others began to speculate that it might be a lost pet. I don’t know how the birds story resolved, because as I entered the main sanctuary (after passing through the small lobby), another man greeted me, asked if I was new, discovered I was, and gave me some informational packets, and a name tag. Apparently the Unitarians divide those attending there services into three general groups: Unitarians, Friends, and Newcomers (like in Alien Nation?), I believe I was considered a ‘newcomer’. The congregation probably numbered around fifty, but there was a healthy amount of visitors, who are asked to identify themselves in much the way we Mormons might recognize ‘newcomers’ in Priesthood and Relief Society meetings. In fact the main service area looked more like an auxiliary room then a chapel, it was horizontally rather then vertically organized, with padded chairs in a rough semi-circle around the pulpit area, grand piano located off to one side.

Anyway on to the service. If I where to briefly encapsulate the experience, I would term it ‘religion by way of PBS’. Now the Unitarians have a long and varied history and have changed forms over the years. About forty years ago they would have mostly called themselves Christian, but today they are a more loosely defined fellowship composed of atheists, agnostics, Wicca, nature based spiritualists, possibly Gnostics, and Christians (the latest information I glanced indicated only about 13% of current membership identify themselves as belonging to the latter category). So there congregations are a home for many on the fringes of the American religious experience. They pride themselves on being a non-judgmental place to gather in fellowship while perusing ones own personal spiritual course. As such, many who have become disillusioned with the faiths of there childhood turn to the Unitarians.

Okay so that last paragraph didn’t turn out to be about the service, hopefully this one will. ‘Religion by way of PBS’ I said, or NPR, or a university classroom, it is eclectic and intellectual. Basically the premise is to gather from any source across the length and breadth of human experience, that you find spiritually resonate. On this particular Sunday we heard perils of wisdom from the likes of Frank Lloyd Wright (who I now have to purchase a biography on), Ralph Waldo Emerson, a Sanskrit Poet, Albert Einstein, and a deceased congregation member. Even the musical selections follow along these lines, with a ‘hymnal’ that consists of selections from various spiritual traditions, as well as great secular works (mostly folk music I would surmise) and compositions but Unitarians themselves. The primary ‘hymn’ we sang was Unitarian, and spoke of embracing change and building community. We were also favored by several selections from Beethoven, performed by a supremely talented pianist. He even did a jazzy variation on Beethoven that you can’t help but love, during the ‘passing of the plate’. I will pause and say that the one thing I really didn’t like about the service was the passing of the plate. That always makes me uncomfortable. I think Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses have it right when they have members make donations in private.

Now to recap the order of the service, I may get a few things wrong, as I probably should have written this earlier as I don’t have a copy of the program and some of the events have blurred in my memory. There was a general greetings, followed by handshaking and introductions, as well as special recognition of visitors. There was a kind of a prayer, and a ceremonial lighting for urn or what have you, that stayed lit throughout the service. Announcements were made concerning congregational business and activites that would occur throughout the weak. There was a textual reading that would correspond to the scriptural recitations found in some churches. There was singing, there were piano selections, there was plate passing. I have gotten repetitive.

The main sermon/talk/lecture was from a 1955 article that Frank Lloyd Wright (who was a Unitarian) wrote for some ’homes’ magazine. In it Mr. Wright recounted a lesson on design, individuality and nature that he gave to some architecture students of his, which employed sea shells as a metaphor/example. There were actual sea shells used in the course of the monologue, and books about Mr. Wright were available for perusing after the service. This particular lesson was given by an architecture enthusiast and construction management student at BSU. Members of the congregation routinely give ’talks’, though there is also a pastor figure, who is presumably paid. This week however she was at a national Unitarian conference in Portland.

The aspect of the service that I liked the most came at the end of the ’sermon’. There was a question and answer period, a group discussion, that was quite stimulating and enjoyable. They all seemed very comfortable with one another, polite but willing to good naturedly challenge points made by others. It was at that point ’thinking how adult this kind of service was’ that I noticed there was only one child (probably about 11 or 12) in the congregation. I’ve long though that Unitarianism is really more a faith for converts then anything. The people that come to Unitarianism generally appreciate it because they did not appreciate the dogmatism of their former faith, they like the freedom that it provides. However this same amorphiesum provides relatively little in the way grounding for children. Principles are good, but young people (to my experience) tend to prefer a strong narrative grounding or mythology, in association with a strong even restrictive behavioral code to flourish in the faith of their childhood. Or as I once heard a Unitarian say, their 'children have little to rebel against', and by extension, little to anchor to, at least until they mature unto a more adult spiritual sensibility. Unitarians feel free to critique me on this.

Anyway I had to rush out after the meeting to do some home teaching so I didn’t get to stay for the informal post discussion discussion, or ask any questions. I enjoyed the Unitarian experience though, and might stop by again some other time.

2 comments:

Rachel Lares said...

I very much enjoyed your description of your visit to a Unitarian congregation. My best fried is Mormon (preferably a member of the Church for Latter-Day Saints) and I am somewhat leaning toward Unitarianism.
I am in that searching phase and as of now, do not feel that internal call toward any main denomination, nor the political entities tied to them.
Thank you for writing about this topic. I helped me understand the direction of my future, and the perspective of my closest friend.

Robin Edgar said...

If I where to briefly encapsulate the experience, I would term it ‘religion by way of BS’. . .