Saturday, August 12, 2023

Wasatch Hills Seventh-day Adventist Church

 Wasatch Hills Seventh-day Adventist Church 

11:15 am service 8/12/2023

Neat building. I've noticed over the years, that this denomination has the greatest diversity in church architecture style of any sect I know.

Got there early enough I could see people in their various sabbath schools, I never seem to see those at other churches.

Around 130 people in the sanctuary, good  mixture of ages, racially diverse, with a particularly large black contingent, judging by dress and accent many of them forgin born. Semi formal dress.

Opening prayer and announcements followed by children's church, this is when they bring the kids upfront for a little story or lesseon. I'm glad I didn't have that growing up, I would have hated it. Around 20 children under 12, biggest youth contingent I've seen in a (non LDS) church of this size. As the kids are relassed back to their family's, they first take little pails with them and collect the tithes and offerings. Clever and adorable. 

Two "baby dedications" today. Each child gets a certificate good for one months free admission at the local Adventist school. Synergy.

Then the praise and worship music. This was NOT Christian rock, more hymn/ mellow gospel style, the lead singer was good. Three songs. 'We Are Marching to Zion', almost Mormon. 'The Blood', very old school Evangelical. 'Draw Me Close to You', "this one's just right" said Goldilocks.

Then a pre sermon prayer, this one you kneel. However they didn't have those pull out, kick stand "kneeling benches", so I found the kneeling awkward and uncomfortable.

Sermon was on "fellowship", the Gospel is the rare precious things you want to share with others, as opposed to a gold prospector protecting his claim. It's even better then a fancy sports car! From the sermon I also learned pastor Barry Curtis grew up in Wyoming.

Then that was it. Dismissed. No closing song or prayer even. 

I had a few people talk to me.

Noticeably no mention of founding prophetess Ellen G. White or any distinctive SdA doctrines. Though they did mention the post service picnic would contain vegetarian options, as some Adventists are vegetarian. While not mentioned in the service,  I had forgotten before reading some of their free literature I took from the lobby, that Adventists don't drink alcohol.

No comments: